How Does Dual Dental Insurance Work?

Dual Dental Insurance Billing Dual Dental Insurance Successfully ⋆ As


Having dental insurance is essential for maintaining good oral health. However, if you have coverage through multiple plans, it can be confusing to know how to use them together. In this article, we will discuss how dual dental insurance works and how it can benefit you.

What is Dual Dental Insurance?

Dual dental insurance is when you have coverage through two different dental insurance plans. This can happen when you have coverage through your employer and your spouse’s employer, or if you have coverage through both Medicare and a private dental insurance plan.

How Does It Work?

When you have dual dental insurance, the two plans work together to provide coverage for your dental expenses. The coordination of benefits (COB) process determines which plan pays first and how much each plan will cover.

Primary and Secondary Plans

One plan will be designated as the primary plan, and the other will be the secondary plan. The primary plan will pay for your dental expenses first, up to the limits of its coverage. The secondary plan will then cover any remaining costs, up to the limits of its coverage.

Maximizing Benefits

Having dual dental insurance can help you maximize your benefits and reduce your out-of-pocket costs. For example, if your primary plan covers 80% of the cost of a procedure and your secondary plan covers the remaining 20%, you will have little to no out-of-pocket expenses.

Things to Consider

Before using dual dental insurance, there are a few things you should consider:

Coordination of Benefits

Make sure you understand how the coordination of benefits process works. Each plan has its own rules, and understanding them can help you avoid unexpected costs.

Plan Limitations

Be aware of the limitations of each plan. Some plans may have exclusions or limitations on certain procedures or services.


Understand the costs associated with each plan, including premiums, deductibles, and copays. Make sure you can afford the costs of both plans.


Dual dental insurance can be a valuable tool for reducing your out-of-pocket costs and maximizing your benefits. However, it’s essential to understand how it works and to consider the limitations and costs of each plan. By doing so, you can make an informed decision about how to use your dual dental insurance coverage.