A Quick Introduction to Ina Garten
Ina Garten, also known as the Barefoot Contessa, is a renowned American chef, author, and television personality. She is known for her simple and delicious recipes that are perfect for any occasion. One of her most popular recipes is the strawberry rhubarb pie, which has become a classic dessert for many households.
The History of Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Strawberry rhubarb pie has been a favorite dessert for many years, particularly in North America. The combination of sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb makes for a delicious and unique flavor. The origins of this dessert can be traced back to the early settlers in North America, who would combine strawberries and rhubarb to make pies.
The Ingredients You Will Need
To make Ina Garten’s strawberry rhubarb pie, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 cups of fresh strawberries, sliced
- 4 cups of rhubarb, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 pie crusts
The Steps to Follow
Now that you have all the ingredients, here are the steps to follow:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract.
- Place one of the pie crusts in a 9-inch pie dish.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Cut the unsalted butter into small pieces and sprinkle over the filling.
- Place the second pie crust over the filling and trim the edges.
- Using a knife, make a few slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Tips for Making the Perfect Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
To ensure that your strawberry rhubarb pie turns out perfectly, here are some tips to follow:
- Use fresh strawberries and rhubarb for the best flavor.
- Cut the rhubarb into small pieces to ensure that it cooks evenly.
- Don’t overmix the filling, as this can cause the pie to become too runny.
- Be sure to make slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes before serving, as this will allow the filling to set.
Ina Garten’s strawberry rhubarb pie is a delicious and classic dessert that is perfect for any occasion. By following these simple steps and tips, you can make the perfect strawberry rhubarb pie that will impress your family and friends. So go ahead and give it a try!