If you’re a fan of rhubarb pie, you’ll be pleased to know that you can make it all year round, even when fresh rhubarb isn’t in season. Frozen rhubarb is a great substitute for fresh, and it’s just as tasty. In this article, we’ll be sharing an easy recipe for rhubarb pie using frozen rhubarb.
To make this rhubarb pie, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups of frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 double pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 375°F.
Step 2: Prepare the Rhubarb
Take the frozen rhubarb out of the freezer and let it thaw for about 30 minutes. Once it’s thawed, drain any excess liquid.
Step 3: Mix the Filling
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and vanilla extract. Add the drained rhubarb and stir until it’s coated in the mixture.
Step 4: Assemble the Pie
Place one of the pie crusts into a 9-inch pie dish. Pour the rhubarb filling into the crust and dot the top with small pieces of butter. Cover the filling with the second pie crust and crimp the edges to seal. Brush the beaten egg over the top of the crust.
Step 5: Bake the Pie
Bake the pie for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
Step 6: Cool and Serve
Once the pie is done baking, let it cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. You can serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Tips for Making the Perfect Rhubarb Pie
- Thaw the frozen rhubarb before using it in the pie. This will help prevent excess liquid in the filling.
- Make sure the pie crust is completely thawed before using it. If it’s still frozen, it will be difficult to work with.
- Don’t overmix the filling once the rhubarb is added. This can cause the filling to become too runny.
- If the edges of the crust are browning too quickly, cover them with foil to prevent burning.
Rhubarb pie is a classic dessert that’s perfect for any occasion. With this easy recipe using frozen rhubarb, you can enjoy it all year round. Follow the tips we’ve shared to ensure your pie turns out perfectly every time. Happy baking!